Patio Door Installation Cost
Average Materials Cost:
Average Labor Cost:
Avg. Time to Complete: 8 hours for 2 Installers
Usually Includes: Patio Door, Installation Hardware, Supplies and Labor
Patio doors, whether you choose a sliding patio door or hinged french doors, are a perfect way to bring a bit of the outdoors inside and make for a beautiful change to any entrance-way in your home. Patio Doors are also very useful as a barrier between rooms and increase energy efficiency by preventing drafts. Much like a ceiling fan, most patio doors can be installed by a handyman or general contractor that is well versed in construction, especially if you need to cut through interior and exterior walls or modify the existing structure. Generally, a patio door can be installed in one full day (8 hours), usually requiring at least 2 contractors.
In this installation cost guide, we’ll provide valuable information on what tools and skills may be needed in the installation process. There may be other items that effect the overall price of having a patio door installed, so we will talk about those as well.
Items Usually Included in Price Estimate
Here are some items that most likely be included in patio door installation estimates:
- Price of the patio door you choose – whether you choose sliding doors or french doors
- Parts, tools and supplies (this also includes flashing, caulk, cement, wood shims)
- Labor costs
- Delivery costs
- Prep, cleanup and debris removal
The total price to install a patio door could include using the list of tools below. Most contractors that install patio doors will have these available. If you are completing this job yourself, these are also tools that you need to have on hand. Learn the proper way to use them so there are no safety issues.
- Hand tools most homeowners have (hammer, tape measure, utility knife, screwdrivers,level, pry bar)
- Drill or driver
- Miter saw, reciprocating saw & table saw (if construction or wall modification is needed)
- Nail gun
Factors that Effect Installation Costs
Different factors will effect your total patio door installation cost. Which patio door you buy, where it will be placed and if your structure will need to be modified. For example, if you want to install patio doors on the exterior of your home where there is currently a picture window, you will need the services of a general contractor that has ample experience in construction.
Other factors could include:
- What size the patio door is
- Where the door installation will be
- If any exterior painting or siding replacement will be needed
Save on Installation Costs!
Looking for ways to save some cash on your patio door installation? Most often you can find ways to lower the cost. In most cases you should have an experienced contractor or handyman complete the installation, but if you would like to make this a DIY project, save on the cost by looking over this list.
- Shop online for your patio door and look for sales and discounts.
- Pickup your door instead of incurring delivery costs.
- Volunteer to help the contractor.
- Do some prep work yourself and remove debris when the project is finished.
- Install the doors at the same time you have a deck or patio installed.
- Have the doors put in when you have new siding or windows replaced in the home.
There are many variables that could either raise or lower the overall price to install patio doors and the best bet is to call several contractors and compare their quotes. Go online, do some research so you have a list of questions to ask each contractor.
Learn More about Patio Door Installation
If you care to learn more about the processes used to install a new patio door, how to get accurate price quotes for your patio door installation, or what is involved to make this a DIY project, we have some helpful links for you to check out below.
Masonite – Downloadable .pdf instruction sheets that cover the installation of french doors, sliding doors, and many other interior and exterior door projects.
Hammerzone – Instructions for installing a sliding door in a new opening; complete with instructions and pictures.
Caldwells – Complete instructions on how to replace a hinged patio door including a list of supplies and tools you will need to complete the project.
If you have the time, we would love for you to share your experience by emailing us via our user submission form. It helps other consumers who may also be considering a patio door installation.
Tagged With: french patio door, patio door, sliding door